Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dilemma

The dilemma.

How to balance. Specifically, how to balance the joy of the Lord we are supposed to feel, the gratitude, with the pain in life.

The house is leaking, the kittens sneezing, my internet access limited by tech problems, the children coughing with nasty colds, Sweetie's back is out again, I am starting to have unexplained muscle pain and weakness, a friend in need shows up on the doorstep when we have just barely been able to buy groceries each month for a while now, the tendency toward depression is sucking me down, tripping me like an ankle chain as I find myself losing weight again.

I know God is victorious. I know there is joy. I know there are so many people with much worse problems than any that I could even dream of right now.

Yet.

Psalm 142, from King David:
Prayer for Help in Trouble.
Maskil of David, when he was in the cave. A Prayer.
1 I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD;
I make supplication with my voice to the LORD.
2 I pour out my complaint before Him;
I declare my trouble before Him.
3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me,
You knew my path.
In the way where I walk
They have hidden a trap for me.
4 Look to the right and see;
For there is no one who regards me;
There is no escape for me;
No one cares for my soul.
5 I cried out to You, O LORD;
I said, “You are my refuge,
My portion in the land of the living.
6 “Give heed to my cry,
For I am brought very low;
Deliver me from my persecutors,
For they are too strong for me.
7 “Bring my soul out of prison,
So that I may give thanks to Your name;
The righteous will surround me,
For You will deal bountifully with me.”


Today is:

Christmas Card Day (I wonder what industry came up with this one?)

Fiesta of the Mother of Health, Mexico

Independence Day, Tanzania

International Anti-Corruption Day

National Pastry Day

St. Leocadia's Day

Weary Willie Day


Birthdays Today:

David Kersh, 1970
Jakob Dylan, 1969
Kurt Angle, 1968
Felicity Huffman, 1962
Donny Osmond, 1957
John Malkovich, 1953
Dick Butkus, 1942
Beau Bridges, 1941
Judy Dench, 1934
Buck Henry, 1930
Dick Van Patten, 1928
Dina Merrill, 1925
Redd Foxx, 1922
Kirk Douglas, 1916
Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., 1909
Margaret Hamilton, 1902
Emmet Kelley, Sr., 1898
John Milton, 1608


Today in History:

The Byzantine General Belisarius enters Rome while the Ostrogothic garrison peacefully leaves the city, returning the old capital to its empire, 536
The first Young Men's Christian Association in the Americas is founded, in Montreal, 1851
Pinckney Benton Stewart Pinchback becomes governor of Louisiana for 35 days, becoming the first black US governor, 1872
Levant Richardson patents the ball-bearing skate, 1884
The Norwegian parliament vote unanimiously for female suffrage, 1903
The first broadcast of "Coronation Street" on British ITV, 1960

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you feel sad. My husband has severe neurological problems and days like today when we are at the dr. all day, I am reminded just how blessed we are. I saw a beautiful young college aged woman who was in a horrible wreck who is now confined to a wheelchair and wearing a diaper and being consoled by her dad. I saw an older married couple where the wife no longer recognized or trusted the husband. I saw a young businessman who had no hands to push the elevator button. Every moment of every day is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Can relate.
    The roof leaks, the car needs a new windshield before the current one breaks completely in two, the dog needs to see the vet, the teeth need to see the dentist, and of course there's the fairly good certainty that I'll be laid off in a few more months.
    Other than that, hey, everything's great.. for now...
    Sometimes worry is the hardest burden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.